After entering the Polish rail market through a joint venture with PCC Rail, Arriva has grown to become a significant passenger rail services operator. In that time, Arriva has expanded into the bus market and now operates routes from 17 depots in the north and south of Poland.
Bus – key facts
- Entered bus market in 2013
- 700 buses
Poland’s bus market is still in the early stages of liberalisation. Competitive tendering is not commonly used outside of the capital, Warsaw.
Regional authorities can award bus contracts by tender or direct contracting and the market is dominated by 167 state-owned companies and 140 municipal operators. Contracts tend to be gross cost for city operations, whereas regional services operate on a commercial basis.
Arriva operates key services in the north and south of the country – predominantly regional and school transport with some urban services.
Rail – key facts
- Entered rail market in 2007
- 26 train sets
- 4 million km operated annually
- 4.6 million passengers a year
Arriva RP Sp. z o.o. (formerly Arriva PCC Sp. z o.o.)
began operating passenger rail lines in the Kujawsko-Pomorskie Province in
north-western Poland in 2007 – the first private passenger rail carrier in
Poland to provide mass transport services. In December 2010 the company
prolonged the term of the contract for a further ten years.
In 2013 Arriva successfully
launched new transport links on electrified lines in the region, representing
over 70 per cent of regional rail services in the Kujawsko-Pomorskie Province. Contracts for rail services cover around
160 railway stations and transport over 4.6 million passengers a year.
Key successes in Poland
- Awarded a 10-year contract in the Kujawsko-Pomorskie region, reflecting strong operational performance and 95 per cent punctuality.
- Four new trains introduced in Kujawsko-Pomorskie as part of a €10 million investment programme to improve speed, comfort and disabled access.
- Introduced innovative, integrated technology to provide faster and more flexible ticket purchasing to customers across Poland.
Want to read more about Arriva in Poland?