Arriva is already one of the largest bus operators in the Netherlands. Having entered the Dutch transport market in the late 1990s, Arriva is also the country’s largest private rail operator with 60 per cent of the liberalised market.
Bus – key facts
- Entered bus market in 1998
- 1020 buses
- 13 waterbuses
- 6 trams
The Dutch bus market is at a mature stage in the liberalisation process. Around half of the market is competitively tendered outside of the major cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and The Hague. Eleven regional transport authorities are obliged to organise public transport into concessions, which are periodically put out to tender. These tenders typically focus on quality and the environment in addition to price. Contracts tend to be net costs and an average of eight years’ duration.
With a long-standing presence in the Dutch bus market, Arriva has grown to become one of the largest operators in the country.
Rail – key facts
- Entered rail market in 1999
- 101 train sets
- 17 million km operated annually
Very little of the Dutch rail market has been competitively tendered and only around 6 per cent of the market is operated by the private sector. Regional transport authorities have responsibility for rail services in their areas and contract conditions differ widely between them. In general, contracts are net cost and typically 15 years in length.
Arriva entered the market early and is now the largest private rail operator in the Netherlands. With 60 per cent of the liberalised market, Arriva is the sole provider of rail services to Friesland and Groningen, South Holland, Gelderland, Overijssel and Drenthe.
Key successes in the Netherlands
- Arriva is the best performing rail operator in the country with a 97 per cent average punctuality rating
- The Ministry of Transport’s survey of 90,000 public transport users ranked Arriva highest for bus services
- Arriva has worked in partnership with the national government to introduce the OV-Chipkaart, a national smartcard for integrated public transport
- A key feature of transport in the Netherlands, Arriva operates integrated transport contracts, including that for Achterhoek-Rivierenland.
- Arriva operates cross-border services into Germany.
Want to read more about Arriva in the Netherlands?